Photobucket
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Waffles Long Journey is Coming to an End.
After believing we had beat the cancer, it made a comeback. Waffles began limping and I assumed she probably sprained her ankle like so many of the rats have done in the past. We of course went to the vet to be sure. The x-rays showed the cancer in her shoulder bone had caused a fracture by growing the bone so large. I had 2 options. Amputate the leg and hope that the cancer hasn't spread, and watch her suffer through weeks of rehabilitation, that will probably be in vain do to the cancers aggressive nature, or, make her comfortable with pain medication and wait for her sign that says, "mommy, I've had enough." I chose the latter. Waffles is home now and her and Dandelion are in Gerbers old cage, no ramps or stairs for her to have to climb. We have ordered pizza tonight, no more health food for her. Waffles can have whatever foods she desires, pizza, french fries, cheetos, all her favorites. I am not sure how much time we have left, and I do not know how I can manage making the "decision", but I hope she will let me know. The sadness I am feeling, it is heartbreaking. Saying good-bye to so many friends. Waffles deserves more than 2 years. I have been crying all day, I am exhausted.
Waffles and Dandy are moving into our bedroom, next to my side of the bed. I want to be there every minute, and when I am at work, Jeremy or the Grandratparents will be keeping them company.
I wish I did not love her so much...it would not hurt this bad. But how could I not? The angels who came into my life, and whispered my calling. My first rats, my first rodents after Onion and Coal mouse. My friends. My happy gobbling rat. My Waf Waf. My rodentist. My loud bruxer. My nail cuticle trimmer. My hair groomer. Waffles, the terror of band-aids. Lover of carrots. Lover of Dandelion rat. She smells like soap and spaghetti sauce. My gargoyle, breaking out of her cage to perch on the edge, warding off evil.
Waffles.
Photobucket

Labels:

6 Comments:
Blogger Lynn said...
Oh, I am very sorry to hear this bad news about Waffles. :( It's hard to watch them get old; their bigger than life personalities and their very short lifespans.

I hope she enjoys all her favorite foods and extra love from you & her other humans.

*hugs*

Blogger Karen Jo said...
I am so sorry to read this news about Waffles, Steffy. I hope that she enjoys all her favorite foods and the extra attention until she has to leave. I am sure that she will find a way to let you know when she is ready. It's just so hard to say goodbye.

Blogger Kaz's Cats said...
We're sorry that you and your babies are having such a hard time - we'll purr that Waffles will find a way to let you know when it's time, and that in the meantime you get to have some fun together.

{{{hugs}}}

Gypsy & Tasha {& Karen (Mum)}

Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...
we are sorry to learn about Waffles' cancer. So many of our ratties have had tumors and cancers of some kind or another. Waffles will go to the Bridge knowing you loved her and she had a great ratty home and adventures. Give her lots of goodies and snuggle time. ~Jane and the Fluffy Tribe

Anonymous abita said...
I'm so sorry, Steff. I hope you have many good days left with her, and I know you'll treasure every moment.

Blogger Rattie said...
I'm so very sorry to hear about Waffles...the news brought tears to my eyes. But she is lucky to have you (and you to have her) during her remaining days as she will receive such wonderful care and devotion. All the best Waffles. Rat hugs for you and your mom.