Photobucket
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome
Photobucket

Yes. Baby the hedgehog has been diagnosed with Wobbly hedgehog syndrome. (WHS) is a disease found in hedgehogs that is closely related to multiple sclerosis (MS). The disease is prominent in the domesticated hedgehog.

As with MS, WHS slowly degrades the hedgehog's muscle control. This first appears as a wobble while the hedgehog is attempting to stand still. Over time, the hedgehog will lose control of all muscles from the rear of its body to the front.

There is no known cure for WHS. Common treatments for MS have shown similar effects in hedgehogs as they do in humans. This includes a diet high in vitamin E. The vitamin E hides the effects of WHS (and MS), but does not slow the disease. A resistance to vitamin E will form and the effects of the disease will continue.

The cause of WHS (and MS) is unknown. My vet has informed me of several holistic medications and treatments i can try. But now it is just a matter of time. My Baby came to us from a blog reader who could no longer care for her. I have only been with her 1 year..not nearly long enough. If she does not pass here at home with us..I will not let her suffer..I am sorry I cant talk about this anymore, that is the hardest decision i have ever had to face in my life.

Baby has been moved from her cage and placed in a large circular plastic pen, as she loses control of her entire body she will be moved to a bassinet in our bedroom to be hand fed and watered. As long as she is in no pain, I will cater to her every need.

Labels:

10 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
you are just amazing, the care and patience you have. it's so hard but worth every minute for all the love and joy they give, but so hard. good for you to take such good care of all your critters!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh Stef. I'm so sorry to hear about baby. This is very sad.

Blogger DK & The Fluffies said...
We are so sorry Stef, have hope that her time with you, will be the most wonderful she's known!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh, I am sorry about your pretty baby. They break your hearts, don't they :(

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh Steffy, I'm so sorry. I hope you still have lots of time with her.

Blogger Razzle said...
oh my goodness...i am so sorry to read this news. I am stunned. I know how heartbreaking is it to get such a scary diagnosis. The good news is, Baby has such wonderful, loving, caring, attentive parents who are going to help make the best of this. Sending you and Baby hugs....

Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...
we are furry sorry to hear of yer babies wobbles, we hope she is happy and comfortable and doesn't suffer. We know you will take care of her the best efer and we wish you lucks from the Fluffy tribe

Blogger Rattie said...
I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news.

Many bright blessings little one.

Blogger Karen Jo said...
I am so sorry to read the bad news about Baby. I know you will give her the best care possible. I hope you still have lots of time with her.

Blogger Peggy said...
I'm so sorry to hear about Baby. I know first hand how heartbreaking it can be to watch your little one deteriorate before your eyes. Soak up every minute that you can spend with her. I'm sure she knows that she is loved and is receiving the best care possible.